Wednesday, April 15, 2009

First Ever Sewing Project Complete!


Shelby's Dress

Never having sewn before, I was so nervous to start this. I've been wanting to learn to sew for several years but have never taken the time to start. Well, with the MUCH needed help from my mom, the above is my very first item to sew! My mom had to teach me everything from how to thread the machine (which is still confusing to me!) to laying out the pattern and cutting the pieces to putting in a zipper. I very much look forward to sewing more clothes for the girls but don't think I can venture out on my own just yet. I have so much to learn! I could have made the dress a size smaller but I guess Shelby can wear it next year too! My next project is going to be curtains for the back door. Those should be easier than the dress though!

9 comments:

Stephanie said...

WOW!! Good Job Jen!!

Kendra said...

Your first? WOW! Great job. Starting with clothing is not easy. Hone your skills on curtains. And one day you'll buy a serger to make some really fancy clothes. But, if you thought threading a sewing machine is hard, just wait until you try a serger! Congrats on your new domestic skill!

buscher3 said...

Wow...I'm impressed!! I sew a little but have never ventured out to try a dress on my own. I've only made curtains, pillows, blankets, and nursing wraps...things that have easy seams to do. ;-) Very impressive!! I may have to have you show me how to do a pattern...the papers all confuse me.

Jennifer Gallagher said...

Oh my! I love it! Does it come in my size? ;) Good work!

Stephanie @ My Answered Prayer said...

That looks great!!!! You'll become addicted!

I got a serger for Christmas and I still haven't used it b/c I'm so confused on the threading!!!

Amber said...

Woo Hoo! Way to tackle a huge project right out of the gate! You put in a zipper on your first piece?!?!? Then those curtains are going to be a piece of cake!!

I'd say you have a knack for sewing...great job!!!!

The Bowden's said...

Cute, cute, cute! Love it! :)

Glo said...

Oh Jen! I am so proud of you! Congratulations on your first sewing project! I love this dress! You did an awesome job! By the way, what is this serger everyone keeps talking about?!LOL I know nothing about sewing even though I made a skirt in High School Home Ec. Don't ask me how I did it, but I did!

Melody said...

Good job :) I must warn you as well that once you really get started, you won't be able to stop. I've been at it for years, I just never thought to actually make money from it until recently. Not really sure why, LOL. Can't wait to see more!