Sunday, September 21, 2008

Homemade Hamburger Buns

Today I made my first ever homemade hamburger buns. They turned out pretty well! Although they were very yummy, next time I think I'll half the flour and use 3 cups of white and 3 cups of wheat flour. Maybe then it will be a little healthier! I thought I'd share this recipe with you all:



2 c. milk
1/4 c. butter, melted
1/4 c. warm water
1/4 c. white sugar
2 (.25 oz.) pkgs. instant yeast
2 tsp. salt
6 c. flour
1. In a large bowl, stir together the milk, butter, warm water, sugar and yeast. Let stand for about 5 minutes.
2. Mix in the salt, and gradually stir in the flour until you have a soft dough. Divide into 25 pieces. (I came out with 9!) Form into balls. Place on baking sheets so they are 2 to 3 inches apart. Let rise for 20 minutes.
3. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Bake the rolls for 15 minutes. Cool slightly. Split in half horizontally to fill with your favorite burgers.

6 comments:

Jennifer Gallagher said...

Yummy! Good work, Jen! Maybe you can try making some with spelt flour! I've never tried making spelt bread, but I buy it from Central Market in their bakery and it tastes just as good! If you do try it, let me know how it turns out. :)

Stephanie said...

ummmm...9? And you were supposed to get 25? LOL

I tried to make humburger buns once. Mine were not anywhere near this pretty! I will have to remember to come look here for the recipe next time I need them!

buscher3 said...

Very cool...never thought of doing that! I'm impressed.

Amber said...

Well, Martha Stewart...that is amazing! I'm highly impressed. They look yummy!

Mandy said...

Very impressive. I go through stages where I make a lot of bread, rolls, etc. then don't for a while. Right now I'm in a cookie making stage!

How have you been?

Amanda said...

Yummy! That looked like it was hard work. It made a nice looking hamburger, I can only imagine what it tasted like. Next time I am there, I want those buns!!!